IoBM: 1994 - 2018
The Foundation for Higher Education was established as a non-profit institution in 1994 by a group of dedicated citizens of Karachi, and was registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860. The Foundation promotes dissemination of quality education. Its first project was setting up a management university to serve trade, industry and commerce by producing highly competent and talented business executives. Teaching began at the College of Business Management (CBM), IoBM’s first constituent college, in September, 1995.
In January 1998, a bill was unanimously approved by the Sindh Provincial Assembly for establishing a university known as the Institute of Business Management in the private sector. At present, the Institute has its four constituent colleges, the College of Business Management (CBM), the College of Computer Science & Information Systems (CCSIS), the College of Economics & Social Development (CESD) and the College of Engineering and Sciences (CES). Since 2006, the Institute has been ranked as one of the top universities in the private sector, both by the Higher Education Commission of the Federal Government and the Sindh Provincial Government. From 2010 to 2015, we have been honored with prestigious awards of EDUNIVERSAL Palms for meritorious evaluation and certification of educational institutions around the world. The Institute is a member of the International Association of Universities (IAU), Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and other international and national organizations.
The Institute offers, through its College of Business Management (CBM), a four year BBA (Honors) and a two/three year MBA degree program with specialization in Marketing, Finance, Human Resource Management and Management Information Systems, Health & Hospital Management, Pharmaceutical Administration, Media Management, Industrial Management and Telecommunication Management. BS (Honors) Economic & Finance, Accounting & Finance and BS Social Entrepreneurship and Social Leadership are also offered. A research degree, an MPhil leading to PhD, is offered in Finance, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Education, Psychology and Management Information Systems. A four year Bachelor of Computer Science (Honors), followed by a two years Master of Computer Science and MBA in Finance & Risk Management, BS in Mathematics & Economics and BS Data Science are offered through the College of Computer Science & Information Systems (CCSIS). The College also offers programs in Industrial Engineering & Management, Actuarial Science & Risk Management, Telecommunication Engineering & Management and Financial Mathematics & Statistics. The College of Economics and Social Development offers a BS program in Commerce, Media Studies, B.Ed, MBA in Educational Management and MSc leading to MPhil in Economics. College of Engineering and Sciences (CES) offers a program in Electrical Engineering.
The emphasis of IoBM is on research. It publishes the country’s first business policy and research journal, Pakistan Business Review, which is recognized by the HEC as well as internationally recognized as Pakistan’s first business policy and research journal, Pakistan Business Review. Pakistan’s Journal of Engineering Technology and Science is accordingly brought out by the College of Computer Science & Information Systems whereas the CESD is responsible for yet another publication: the Journal of Education and Educational Development. Students and faculty contribute regularly to its pages. A research seminar is organized on a weekly basis. IoBM is the first business school where foreign language courses, Arabic, French, Spanish, Italian or Chinese were made compulsory in the BBA and BCS programs. The Institute has competent and dedicated faculty with the majority holding foreign degrees. An international seminar funded by the HEC is organized on an annual basis. IoBM Academic programs are up to date and comprehensive in concept and structure, resembling honors programs offered in the UK and graduate programs of US Universities. IoBM has extensive links with a number of global universities. Professors from these universities have served as Chief Academic Officers of IoBM.
Since 1998, more than 8,000 students have graduated from IoBM. Most of them occupy key positions in leading national and multinational firms including Habib Bank, Faysal Bank, Standard Chartered, PIA, Engro, Berger Paints, Geo TV, National Bank of Pakistan, Unilever, IBM, ICI, SmithKline & Beecham, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi Stock Exchange and different provincial and federal government departments. Many graduates have proceeded for their post-graduate program to reputable universities in the UK and USA. More than 400 students go for compulsory internships every year to national and multinational organizations.
Office of Research Innovation & Commercialization - Entrepreneurship & Management Excellence Center (ORIC) / (EMEC) of the Institute organizes professional education, training and research programs with a view to serving the corporate sector to enhance both its profitability and contribution to society. Support is provided in the areas of banking and finance, marketing, human resource development and information systems management.
The Institute has come a long way since its inception. There are over 4500 students on our campus which is large, purpose-built and located at Korangi Creek on an 11 acre site and comprises the Business College building, the Administration and Entrepreneurship & Management Excellence Center building, CCSIS building, a Convocation Center, the Student Activity Center, a five-storeyed library building, Industrial Engineering and Management building, a mosque and CESD building. Another nine acre site has been acquired at a distance of 1 km from the present campus. Shahjehan S. Karim Center of Excellence, a basement, ground plus five storeyed building was completed in June 2017.
- The Institute’s fourth convocation in December, 2001, an honorary degree of Doctorate of Philosophy was conferred upon Dr. Nafees Sadik, former Executive Director, United Nations Population Program.
- The fifth convocation held in December, 2002, an honorary degree was conferred on our keynote speaker, Mr. Babar Ali, Pro-Chancellor, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), and at the ninth convocation an honorary degree was conferred on Dr. Goolam Mohamedbhai, President, International Association of Universities (IAU).
- The sixth convocation was held in December 20, 2003 with Dr. Atta-ur-Rahman, Chairman, Higher Education Commission and Minister for Science & Technology as the Chief Guest and Ms. Musharaf Hai, Chairperson, Unilever Pakistan Limited as the keynote speaker.
- The seventh convocation was held on December 18, 2004 with the Governor Sindh as the Chief Guest and Mr. Hameed Haroon, Chief Executive Dawn Group of Newspapers as the keynote speaker. Over 300 students were awarded BBA (Hons), BCS (Hons), BS.
- The eighth convocation was held on December 17, 2005 with the Minister for Education, Sindh, as the Chief Guest and Syed Ali Raza, President, National Bank of Pakistan, as the keynote speaker. Over 400 students were awarded degrees at this convocation.
- The ninth convocation of the Institute was held on December 16, 2006 with the Education Minister as the Chief Guest and Dr. Goolam Mohamedbhai President, IAU, as the keynote speaker. Over 450 students were awarded degrees at this convocation.
- The tenth convocation was held on December 8, 2007, where Mr. Jose Manuel Salazar-Xirinachs, Executive Director of the International Labour Organization, Geneva was the keynote speaker and over 500 students were awarded degrees.
- The eleventh convocation of the Institute was held on December 6, 2008 where the Governor, State Bank of Pakistan was the keynote speaker and Governor Sindh, Dr. Ishrat ul Ebad was the chief guest and over 700 degrees were awarded to students at this convocation.
- Syed Qaim Ali Shah, Chief Minister of Sindh and Mr. Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, Speaker Sindh Assembly attended the twelfth convocation of the Institute, held on December 05, 2009. The keynote Speaker was Mr. Shaharyar Muhammad Khan, former Foreign Secretary and former Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board. As many as 927 graduates were awarded degrees.
- The thirteenth convocation was held on December 4, 2010. The chief guest on the occasion was Dr. Abdul Hafeez Shaikh, Minister for Finance, Revenue, Economic Affairs & Statistics and the keynote speaker was Dr. Javaid R. Laghari, Federal Minister / Chairperson of the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
- The fourteenth convocation was held on December 10, 2011 over 983 degrees were awarded to students at this convocation. The chief guest on the occasion was Dr. Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, Founding President and Trustee of AKU and the keynote speaker was Mr. Javed Jabbar, Chairman and Chief Executive, JJ Media (Pvt.) Ltd.
- The fifteenth convocation was held on December 08, 2012. Over 825 degrees were awarded to students at this convocation. The keynote speaker was Mr. Shahid Aziz Siddiqi, Chairman and CEO, State Life Insurance Corporation of Pakistan.
- The sixteenth convocation was held on December 07, 2013. Over 850 degrees were awarded to students at this convocation. The chief guest was Mr. Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, Senior Minister for Education, Govt. of Sindh, keynote speaker was Dr. Kakha Shengelia, President Caucasus University Republic of Georgia, and Mr. Munir Kamal, Chairman National Bank of Pakistan was the guest of honor in this convocation.
- The Seventeenth convocation was held on December 07, 2014. Over 850 degrees were awarded to students at this convocation. The chief guest was Mr. Nisar Ahmed Khuhro, Senior Minister for Education, Govt. of Sindh, keynote speaker was Mr. Muhammad Aliuddin Ansari, President & Chief Executive Officer of Engro Corporation in this convocation.
- The eighteenth convocation was held on December 12, 2015. Over 900 degrees were awarded to students. The chief guest was Mr. Muhammad Mian Soomro, Former President of Pakistan and keynote speaker was Mr. Kamal A. Chinoy, Chief Executive of Pakistan Cables Limited at the event.
- The nineteenth convocation was held on December 10, 2016. Over 950 degrees were awarded to students. The guest of honor was Mr. Jam Mehtab Hussain Dahar, Minister for Education & Literacy, Government of Sindh, and keynote speaker was Mr. Sirajuddin Aziz, President Habib Metropolitan Bank Ltd. Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed, Chairman Higher Education Commission (HEC) also attended the convocation.
- The twentieth Convocation was held on December 09, 2017. IoBM awarded 1000 degrees to students. The Chief Guest was Mr. Muhammad Zubair, Governor of Sindh and Keynote Speaker was Mr. Khalid Nawaz Awan, Chairman of TCS.
Shahjehan S. Karim Center of Excellence
A 7 Story (basement plus six floor) centrally air-conditioned building with a covered area of 152,000 sq.ft and open area of 15,000 sq.ft. houses 22 classrooms, 68 faculty offices, examination department with 2 examination halls of 1100 sq.ft, laboratories, media studio of 2,576 sq.ft, seminar rooms, training halls, gymnasium, 8 kiosk (food) with 180 seating capacity and 22 hostel rooms housing for students and faculty.